know it's been a second since the last time i updated. the end of the year was a little difficult for me on the animation front. first off, i got to a scene in the episode i wasn't particularly clear with when i storyboarded it, leading to a lot of decision-making. it didn't help that the shots have a lot of things i hate doing -- animating fire, mainly. either way, my natural inclination to be indecisive sorta took over and slowed down progress. and of course, it was the holiday season in retail. it seemed worse than usual this year, so that took a lot out of me.
and when it came time to stop being unproductive and i re-approached the project, my software was having issues. i use toon boom harmony advanced, and there's been little tics here and there that make it hard to work at all. i'll do my best to explain: typically, if one is on a selected layer and you want to use the select tool, it would (as best as i recall, in case i'm having some mandela effect shit) select things ONLY on that layer. instead, it's selecting ALL the layers in the vicinity i select. and i've got a ton of layers because of the rigs i've created. sooo yeah. later on, another issue arose where the light table wouldn't stay enabled while using the select tool. so i can't move pieces around over my washed-out BG if i wanted to. i updated the software, posted on forums, emailed support... nothing.
so that just led to me feeling sorry for myself. i took another look at where i was last year at this time, and the year before that, and before that, and so on, and i discovered i get into a weird depressive phase in terms of art/progress in winter. i don't want to claim i have some sort of seasonal depression, but anyway. that's not something i need to worry about. the good news is is that i recently have been making much better progress and i'm actually animating the very last two or three shots of this episode! that doesn't mean i'm done just yet, but i'm very close. i've still got to animate the tag, record and animate two new shots for story purposes earlier in the show, fix animation errors here and there and go back to at least two shots i halfway abandoned to try and get ahead, and more audio mixing and such.
but i'm basically looking at a february release for episode 2, so i'm excited :) here's a progress shot. see you soon!